Every church has doctrines (teachings) they subscribe to and at UBC we also have certain doctines that are non-negotiable for us. The following statement is not exhaustive but is intended to give a good overview of our position on some core doctrines. We understand the Scriptures to be our only authority in matters of faith and practice and our interpretation of the Bible leads us to believe:
· The purpose of our church is to glorify God. We will seek to accomplish this primarily through the public worship of God and through the preaching and teaching of the Bible. To this end the church membership will endeavor to live holy lives in accord with the Scriptures. We will seek to personally evangelize the lost, be involved in missionary endeavors, and build up the body of Christ (the church) by the exercise of each ones spiritual gifting.
· The Scriptures of the Old and New Testament as being inspired by God and inerrant and infallible in the original writings, and that they are the final authority in matters of faith and practice.
· In one God eternally existing in one essence, yet co-equal persons, the Trinity: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
· That Jesus Christ was begotten by God, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born to the virgin Mary.
· In the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, who convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. He is the life of the believer and He empowers the preaching and teaching of the Gospel.
· That mankind was created in the image of God, sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death, but spiritual death, which is separation from God, and that human beings are born with a sinful nature.
· That the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified before God on the basis of His shed blood.
· In the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, His ascension into heaven and His present life there as high Priest and Advocate for us.
· In the blessed hope, which is the personal, visible and imminent return of our Lord and Savior; Jesus Christ.
· That all who receive by faith, the Lord Jesus Christ are born again by the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
· In the existence of a personal devil, who is still working in the world to destroy the souls of men and that he and all his fallen angels and all who do not receive Christ as their personal Savior will eternally perish in the lake of fire.
· In the observance of the ordinances of the Church, given by the Lord; Baptism and partaking at the Lord’s Table (Communion).